The Paw Print

Chess team hopes to continue sucess

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chess team hopes to continue sucess

Varstiy and JV chess team members, along with their coaches, pose for a picture at the WEST tournament. 
Photo by parent Nickie Davis.

Varstiy and JV chess team members, along with their coaches, pose for a picture at the WEST tournament. Photo by parent Nickie Davis.

Hannah Sparrow, Staff Reporter

The Normal West Chess Team has enjoyed recent success, including placing first at their home tournament for both the Varsity and Junior Varsity team.

The varsity team of Joseph Kessinger (12) Jacob Davis (9) Clayton Davis (12) Bekah Nielsen (12) Sawyer Price (12 ) and Austin Schillage (11) claimed victory at the West tournament and hope to continue their winning streak by claiming sectional champs for the second year in a row.

The team is made up of 19 members including team captain, Joseph Kessinger (12), who said, “My goal this year is to make it into the top 5 at state”.

Normal West’s Chess Team’s victories are no shock. The team is devoted and practices every Tuesday night after school and on Thursdays that aren’t occupied with tournaments. Not only does their hard work and dedication make them a strong team, but the environment they create. “What I enjoy most about being on the team is that everyone gets along and no one is excluded from the group,” junior Austin Schillage said.

This team appears to be close knit, which could be the reason for their success as a team.

“The thing I enjoy most about being on the chess team is traveling together and spending time with my friends,” said JV member Owen Lowe (9).

Math teacher Mrs.Kafer is the coach who truly believes in the ability of her team. Kafer discusses their previous successes and hopes for more. “Being the sectional champs from last year with most of the team returning, we would definitely like to keep that title, especially since we will be hosting and continue to the state championship in Peoria in February.”

The Normal West Chess Team will continue their season, planning to bring more trophies home. The kings and queens of the chess team will surely be staying on the grid this year!

• Chess team hopes to continue sucess

Sports

Lady wildcats play to honor Crabtree

• Chess team hopes to continue sucess

Wildcats on the Street

Wildcats give thanks this holiday season

• Chess team hopes to continue sucess

News

Students fight demolition of Uptown mural

• Chess team hopes to continue sucess

News

NCWHS hosts 5th annual Veteran’s Day dinner

• Chess team hopes to continue sucess

Feature

Normal West sophomore starts Twister Club

• Chess team hopes to continue sucess

Showcase

Sharer-Barbee motivates students

• Chess team hopes to continue sucess

Uncategorized

The Normal Marching Band takes a final bow for the season

• Chess team hopes to continue sucess

Showcase

Uptown Normal kicks off holiday season

• Chess team hopes to continue sucess

Showcase

Wetzel places in top 10 at state meet

• Chess team hopes to continue sucess

Showcase

Wildcat staff prepares for Thanksgiving

News for Wildcats, by Wildcats.
Chess team hopes to continue sucess