News for Wildcats, by Wildcats.

The Paw Print

Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Catcher David Ross and closer Aroldis Chapman hug in relief after the Cubs win the NLCS

Alex Barth, Staff Reporter

The Chicago Cubs are coming off one of their best records in franchise history. They are also coming off their first World Series win in 108 years. The team has naturally high hopes to at least make the playoffs this year.

While the majority of their roster stayed the same, they lost a few key pieces in the offseason. They lost reliever Travis Wood and starting pitcher Jason Hammel along with closer Aroldis Chapman. Center fielder Dexter Fowler also left in free agency to go to the Cardinals. They also had beloved catcher David Ross retire. They, however, boosted their roster with additions such as closer Wade Davis and outfielder Jon Jay.

When asked about the 2017 season, Normal West teacher David Weber said, “They are going to remain dominant as long as they stay healthy. They have a really good chance of going back to the World Series because they have the tools to do it, but anything can happen in the playoffs.”

He then added, “The biggest struggle for the Cubs this season is the amount of talent they have. This sounds weird, but they have major league talent in the farm system that is stuck there because they have too many players that are above their talent level. It’s a good bad situation.”.

Senior Dayton Tynan gave his opinion on the matter. “They are going to be good there is no doubt about that, but they won’t have the season they had last year. It would be almost impossible especially with the players they lost, they just won’t be able.”

He then added, “ They will make the playoffs almost definitely, but they won’t win the World Series because it just isn’t possible with the talent in the league.”

Senior and Cardinal fan Rory Hallam gave his opinion. “Honestly the Cubs are going to give the Cardinals the most problems. Their roster is stacked with talent and is very hard to beat. Even though we’re better this year, it’s still gonna be a challenge.”

The Cubs will have another very competitive season with such a talented roster, but repeating as World Series champions is almost impossible in this era.

• Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Showcase

Normal Parks and Recreation’s Summer Theatre Program prepares for summer musicals

• Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Showcase

Epiphany Farms shows students where their food comes from

• Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Showcase

Slim Chickens becomes newest restaurant rage in Bloomington-Normal

• Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Entertainment

13 reasons why you shouldn’t watch ‘13 Reason Why’

• Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Showcase

Boys baseball’s potential, progress shines in Alabama

• Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Showcase

Mrs. Gramley impacts West

• Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Feature

Melody Holland competes at FCCLA state conference

• Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Feature

FCCLA members hope for strong finish

• Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Feature

West students have their own courtroom

• Cubs have high hopes for 2017

Boys Swimming

Normal West boys swim team get ready for the end of the season

News for Wildcats, by Wildcats.
Cubs have high hopes for 2017